There were 20 kids from 3rd to 6th grade. We had the lesson in a real lab and had to wear lab coats.
First we learned a bit of theory about DNA and later we were doing an experiment.
You can also try to make it yourself, here is how:
- Put half of a kiwi into a cup.
- Add salty water (the kiwi cells will get weaker).
- Add detergent (it helps to break down the fat in the kiwi cells).
- Stir everything well, but try not to make too many bubbles.
- Put the cup with kiwi, water and detergent into a bowl of boiling water (it will speed up the process).
- After few minutes blend everything up.
- Pour the mixture slowly through a coffee filter and funnel into a larger cup.
- The solution that drips through will have kiwi DNA in it. Pour this solution into a small tube.
- Carefully add very strong colored alcohol to it. DO NOT MIX IT!
- You will see a white stripe (like a cloud) in the alcohol - this is the kiwi DNA!
It was a really fun class. Much better than the ones in Taiwan.